Apprenticeships for 16-24 year olds
We understand what it takes to train you in the skills you will need to succeed in an apprenticeship and secure employment at the end of it.
What is an apprenticeship?
Apprenticeships combine practical training in a job with study.
As an apprentice you will:
- work alongside experienced staff
- gain job-specific skills
- earn a wage and get holiday pay
- study towards a related qualification
- have excellent progression opportunities whether looking to study further or climb the ranks within the workplace
What is involved in our apprenticeship?
All our apprentices are enrolled in one of the following programmes:
- Business Administration (NVQ Level 2/3)
- Customer Service (NVQ Level 2/3)
We will give you the skills that you need, the guidance to impress at an interview and full support throughout your Apprenticeship.
You will need to complete a pre-employment course at City Gateway, making sure you have the skills you need to make the most of this life-changing opportunity.
During the first six months of your placement, you will attend City Gateway one day a week and work towards your Technical Certificate and Functional Skills, which includes English and Maths qualifications (if required). After that, your placement can become full-time. Our Apprentices have an ‘on the job’ assessment once a month from an NVQ Assessor, and around an hour a week of coursework to do during working hours.
Where do our apprentices work?
Our Apprentices have been placed with Standard Chartered, Goldman Sachs, RBS, Citi Group, PwC, EY, The House of Commons, British Gas, UK Power Networks, Metro Bank and Tottenham Hotspur Football Club amongst many more. Gateway has worked with over 200 different employers to make this a reality.
What are the entry requirements?
All learners have to complete a pre-employability programme with City Gateway before being eligible for an apprenticeship:
- Learners MUST NOT have a level 4 qualification or above
- Learners should have GCSE Maths and English at A-C grade (or equivalent) but if you do not have Maths and English at this level, don't worry. You can take part in Functional Skills training on one of our pre-employment programmes to help you work towards the qualification
- You must be aged between 16-24 at the start of your apprenticeship placement
Fast Track Programme
Apprenticeship ready candidates can apply for entry into our Apprenticeship pool.
You will work with a City Gateway progression coach to support and place you into an apprenticeship or other employment.
We will match you with an apprenticeship with one of our corporate partners. Typical roles include general office assistant, HR assistant, IT service desk support, receptionist and sales assistant amongst others.
Apprenticeship companies include London Stock Exchange, EY, Dentons, Linklaters, PWC and many more.
- Aged 16-24
- Right to work in UK (must produce UK passport, Birth Certificate or Visa and NI Number)
- Not currently working or in training/education for more than 16 hours per week
- Must have achieved A*-C in GCSE English & Maths or equivalent in functional skills
- Must have at least a level 2 vocational qualification and 1 month volunteering, work experience or employment
- Must not have achieved a level 3 qualification or higher
Start dates in 2016/17
Ongoing – you can apply to our Fast Track programme at any time in the year.
Work for a company and want to find out more about apprenticeships? Visit our Hire an Apprentice section.